Saturday, July 14, 2012

21


Took Bill's 12 year old daughter, Emma, to the Corcoran Museum to see a show of horse portraits by Charlotte Dumas.  Like practically every 12 year old girl everywhere, Emma is horse-crazy.  She did not, however, seem noticeably impressed by the horse photos.  Nor by the two rooms of beach and ocean photos drawn from the museum's collection, which I greatly enjoyed.  There was a Robert Frank image I don't recall ever before seeing, a lovely photograph of his wife and children on a beach in the dark, with sparklers.  It makes me happy to summon that photo in my memory, such a simple but lovely image. 

I also wanted to at least peek at the exhibit of Diebenkorn paintings currently on show at the Corcoran, but Em had had Enough Art.  She was hungry, maybe we could find a hotdog cart out on the street, or some ice cream.  Sigh.  You can lead a kid to art but you can't make them swoon over it.  On the way out Emma stopped to admire and pet the bronze lion faces set in the museum's massive front doors.  Her favorite part of our visit to the art museum was, I think, departing from the art museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment